Building and flying one's own kite is not all that its cracked up to be. Teya was inspired to build her own kite after reading a book about a boy who took some scraps of wood, a map and some old string and created a masterpiece of a kite that won a kite-flying competition. I would not recommend planting the "build your own kite" in your kids' bursting-with-creative-juices minds. Don't get me wrong, we enjoyed painstakingly building a frame held in tension by string, covering it with paper, decorating, attaching balancing strings and tails and the lead string. Philip does not begrudge the sacrifice of his thumb, which he massacred with a knife while working on the frame. I was not completely disappointed when the end result looked more like a flattened tick than a perfectly balanced geometric shape. My heart did not sink when Teya only wanted to cover 1/16th of the kite in decoration (I had envisioned ice cream cones covering the entire surface of the gliding glory).
But when we tried to fly the albatross, that's when my heart sank. I ran frantically around the soccer field, trying to get a gust under the kite, only to slam it into the ground. Over. And over. And over. So much for that.
1 comment:
Ok, this was both precious and hilarious! I can also totally hear your voice perfectly as you tell this story! Love it!
Post a Comment